Informative Speech Topics and Essay Writing Ideas
Last Updated: 02 January 2022
Writing an informative speech isn't as much dreaded as choosing informative speech topics for college, which is a fact. With the broadness of the informative speech topics, it is in everyone's interest to know what fun informative topics to choose when crafting an essay.
Mainly, while you can find topic inspiration from literary everything around you, it requires some difference to find a fitting one.
Writing a speech is not exclusively left for high school, college, and university students. Instead, even people in the corporate world have to be conversant with informative speech topics.
Sometimes, during parties or ceremonies, when invited to give a speech, some people freeze. Well, not anymore. You do not have to attract scolds and attacks when delivering a keynote speech or during a graduation speech.
We understand how a simple chance to give a speech can open doors. We have written many speeches, including on argumentative, persuasive, and controversial topics.
In our experience, it takes time to perfect the art of speech writing. Yet once one becomes a master, they skillfully juggle words to the tune the audience wants. Now, let us delve deeper.
This comprehensive and categorized list of informative speech topics for college can be the game changer you have been waiting for. With the diversity of thoughts exhibited by each of ourÂ speechwriters online, we compiled the most thoughtful list just for you. As you ruminate over the nuggets of wisdom herein, we also offerÂ professional speech writing services, in case you are interested.
How to choose the best Informative Topic
The speechwriting battle is always halfway won by choosing the right topic. When writing a speech essay, choosing a good informative speech topic defines the extent to which your audience will be entertained. Here are some bullet points, assumed to be self-explanatory, ideas to help you develop the best speech topics.
1. Understand your audience
Mostly, an informative speech or any speech, for that matter, targets an audience. Therefore, cover a subject or topic area that interests your audience. For instance, if it is a speech on journalists' freedom and independence, be sure to address the current issues around the topic.
2. Choose a topic that interests you
While excellent research and writing skills can help you ace a speech essay, your interest matters. When you explore a speech topic that you are familiar with, your chances of learning and feeding your passion increases.
3. The length of the Speech
Mostly, the length of a speech is tied to the allocated time. In most cases, the time is measured using the number of PowerPoint slides. For instance, if it is a speech on saving money or making money while in college or maybe early teenage pregnancies, 20 minutes would be appropriate. This then means writing 20 slides.
You are now ready to explore speech writing. Not so fast, though, let us look at what an informative speech is.
What is an Informative Speech?
An informative speech provides information about a living being, phenomenon, industry, event, person, current affairs, disasters, or objects. For instance, a speech on disaster management during hurricanes is a good informative speech topic. Another one would be how to spot fake news on the internet. It could also be a speech on several conspiracy theories that are a headache to many.
There are four types of informative speeches, including:
These ones simply explain a concept, phenomenon, theoretical basis, or a model.
Descriptive/ Exploratory Speeches
This type of speech focuses on creating a perfect understanding and a mental image of the subject, event, status quo, and situation etc.
These type of speeches focus on the audience and are meant to teach them how to do stuff. For example, how to detect breast/ prostate cancer.
Mostly, these are the type where you explain different things, such as technology, statistics, or explain different ideas. For example, an exploratory speech can be that on the impacts of global warming on species.
Whichever the case, the best speech topics for college are endless. Any topic you perceive and think about is worthy. However, be sure to pick a narrow topic so that you don't dilute your speech with a bluff. A good speech is short, concise, and loaded. Here is a list of informative speech topics for college students.
Creative Science Informative Speech Topics
Here are the top science informative speech topics that you can use when writing either an essay or a speech.
- The role of DNA in human life.
- The impacts of GMOs on food security
- How technology has changed the agricultural sector and the food industry
- Impacts of climate change on food production
- Significance Elon Musk's inventions on the future of science
- 3-D printing, its impacts, and challenges.
- The rise of the Internet of Things (IoT) and its impact on business
- Green sources of energy
- The impacts of violent computer games on children's development
- Application of blockchain technology in agriculture.
- Genetically modified foods and sustainability
- Understanding bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies
- How crosswinds develop
- Impacts of headwinds on cyclists
- Significance of studying human evolution
- The human genome project
- Understanding astrophysics
- Application of chemistry at home
- How did humans evolve?
- Exploration of shale gas
- Formation of cyclones
- Why lightning strikes
- Generation of hydroelectric power
- The effects of fluoride in water
Ecology Informative Speech Topics
If you are writing a speech on ecology, here are some creative and fun topics to keep you going:
- Benefits of building sustainable houses
- The formation of dead zones in seas
- Sources of air pollution
- Impacts of microplastics on marine ecology
- The impacts of climate change
- How infrastructural development affect flora and fauna
- Consequences of climate change
- Global warming and species migration
- Applying metapopulation in conservation ecology
- Understanding ecological footprint
- Terrestrian ecosystem
- Characteristics of a sustainable society
- Ecological issues in the African Savanna
- Consumerism and pollution
- Role of humans in air, water, and soil pollution
- Hydrological cycle
- Understanding eutrophication, its causes, and consequences
- Application of Ecosystem Activation System (EAS) technology in the remediation of Eutrophic freshwater
- Impacts of biology knowledge on the conservation of marine species
- Impacts of Covid-19 on deforestation at Amazon Forest
- Causes and consequences of Australian bush fires
- Impacts of heavy metals on marine organisms
- Food webs and food chains in marine ecosystems
You can access more environmental and air pollution topics, which we had earlier compiled to help you craft the best information speech on an ecology-related topic.
Adoption Informative Speech Topics
If your audience is interested in matters relating to adoption, here are some of the best informative speech topics you could use:
- Multilingual adoption
- How to adopt a child
- Role of the clergy in adoption
- Transracial adoption
- Role of adoption professionals
- LGBTQ and adoption
- Challenges faced by adoptees
- Adoption as a crime control strategy
- Benefits of adoption
- History of adoption
We have a list of adoption topics for research papers and essays, which could as well boost your creativity.
Medicine and Health Speech Topics
If you are more interested in psychology, sociology, psychiatry, and nursing, you can write a related speech. Here are some of the relevant medical and health speech topics:
- The reasons for the rise in new Ebola cases
- The Zika virus as a public health problem
- Stress and depression at work
- Reducing HIV/AIDS stigma.
- The importance of the Hippocratic oath
- The impacts of COVID-19 on healthcare workers
- Shortage of nurses in the U.S.
- Role of nurses in in-home care
- Aging in place for elderly people in the USA
- Using the theory of planned behavior for obesity interventions
- Impacts of childhood obesity
- Fast foods and high incidences of obesity in the USA
- The effects of sugar on the human body
- Antibiotics resistance and how to curb it
- How to fight obesity and diabetes
- Cycling as a means of addressing Childhood obesity
- Effects of drugs and substance abuse on the human body
- Sports participation and the common traumas
You can check our black death topics, which can also be a great source for your informative essay topic. We also have creative nurse capstone project topics, from where you can get excellent informative speech nursing topics.
Process Analysis Informative topics
Process analysis topics are topics mostly used when writing a process essay. Here are some examples of informative speech topics that you can use to explain different processes:
- Alternative ways to get college loans
- How to lose weight in simple steps
- How to care for plants indoors
- How to get a driving license
- How to save money for college
- How to make an omelet
- How to read for tough exams
- How to stop drinking alcohol
- How to stop smoking
- How to prevent air pollution
- How to decorate a home
- How to recycle at home
- Methods of buying a used car
- How to beat sleep paralysis
- How to invest in stocks
- How to complete a dissertation in a few weeks
- How to win a debate contest
- How to prepare for spelling bees
- How to build lean muscle
- How to manage time
- How to pay taxes on time
We have compiled some best essay topics and tips, which can help you brainstorm and choose a good informative speech topic.
Speech Topics Ideas on Society
- Types of societies in the world
- Patriotism and Nationalism, are they still alive
- The impacts of global terrorism on global development
- Racial discrimination in law enforcement
- Understanding millennials in the workplace
- Exploring a military career as a fulfilling career choice for women
- Importance of education in life
- The best countries to visit and live in
- The effects of social media on society
- Taming poverty at the global level
- World hunger and mitigation mechanisms
- Tattoos and gang affiliation
- Street graffiti and criminal gangs
- Homelessness among veterans
- Music censorship
Family Ideas and Topics for Speech Writing
- Impacts of social media on families
- Does communication matter in marriage?
- How children raised through doing chores become responsible adults
- Domestic violence and culture
- Single-parent families and disrespectful children
- Does co-parenting type of family work?
- Helicopter parenting and its impacts on families
- Biracial adoption of children
- Role of family in holistic child development
- Strategies for building healthy relationships at the family level
Informative International Relations Topics
- Impacts of the Huawei-US trade war
- China and America Trade war and its impact on the global economy
- Does oil reserves cause endless wars in Sudan?
- The impacts of wars on economic development
- Is China the next frontier in Africa and a rising superpower?
- Addressing underdevelopment in Africa
- Role of the United Nations
- Military expenditure and being superpower
- The importance of the Red Cross in addressing disasters
- The Mexican border wall and American immigrants
- Addressing homegrown terrorism
- Understanding Free Trade Agreement
- Countries offering free education
- Why Canada needs professionals from different parts of the world
- America as a multicultural society
- The causes and consequences of the Great Depression
- Recognizing stock market trends
- Cybersecurity issues in the global business environment
- The most democratic country
- The European Union
- The impacts of Brexit on the global economy
- Russia-US issues
Informative Speech Ideas on Education
- Should college athletes be paid
- Benefits of bilingual education
- Are online essay writing assistants the relief students need?
- Reasons students should learn programming languages in school
- Does college education mean a good career and life?
- The use of blended learning in higher education
- How to get and maintain a higher GPA
- Ways international students can get the most from their studies
- Developing creativity and analytical thinking in class
- Using social media in class to an advantage
- Making college life full of fun
- How to make friends when in college
- How to pass tough/complex subjects in university
- Increasing knowledge while at school
- The impacts of online classes on students' performance
- Advantages of studying abroad
- Importance of diversity in colleges
- Blended vs. traditional learning
- Impacts of online long-distance learning on student's performances
- Learning in the global pandemic period
- Ways to stay safe in college
- Is college education necessary?
- Ways student can fund their college education
- Can one work and study at the same time?
- Using gamification to deliver online education
- Student unions and their importance in students' wellbeing
- Students and caffeine addiction
- The rise of cheating in colleges
- How to go through a class you hate
- Importance of adequate sleep for students
- Role of teachers in language development
- Should mentally ill students attend school?
- Impacts of energy drinks on students' sleep patterns
- Private versus public schools
- Importance of working hard at school
- How to maintain better grades in college
- How to participate in group studies
- Benefits of single-gendered schools
- Benefits of boarding schools
- Importance of disciplines
- How to relate well with teachers and students in college
- Benefits of off-campus living
- School uniforms should be mandatory
- Vocational training versus college education
- Role of school principles
- Importance of district schools
Literature Informative Speech topics
- Understanding Edgar Allen Poe
- How to analyze literature
- Types of poetry
- Poetry as a means of freedom
- Understanding literary terms
- Vampires in literature
- Gothic literature and modern scientific literature
- How to read a poem
- How to make a summary of a book
- The use of grotesque creatures in literature
- Role of science fiction in literature
- The metaphor in the allegory of the cave
History Topics for the Best Informative Speeches
- The causes and consequences of the Civil War.
- History of China
- Causes and consequences of the bubonic plague
- The origins and impacts of the covid-19 virus
- Fashion in Victorian Britain
- The origin and evolution of jazz music
- The evolution of opera
- The Salem witch trials
- Immigration and the success of America
- The causes and consequences of civil war
- The political climate leading to the election of Abraham Lincoln
- Colonial America
- The Pequot War and its significance in American History
- The Civil rights movement
- The History of The World Bank
- Understanding Egyptian art
- Blood minerals and instability in Congo
- The world wars
- Medieval Rome
- The fall of Constantinople
- Impacts of the American revolution on women
- The French revolution
- Communism in China
- The collapse of the USSR
- How the industrial revolution changed England
- Trans-Atlantic slave trade
- History of aviation
- Hiroshima and Nagasaki bomb
- The Pearl Harbor invasion
- The history of the internet
- The significance of the 1992 Los Angeles Riots
- Greatest emperors in the world ever lived
- The foundations and development of Japan as a technology hub of the world
- The rise of the United Arab Emirates
Media informative Speech topics
- Media and religion
- How politicians use the media for propaganda dissemination
- Significance of the media during a pandemic
- History of film production
- Media censorship and dictatorship
- Freedom of journalists
- The link between media and anorexia nervosa
- Importance of mass media
- Mass media and terrorism
- Mass media and political chaos
- Reality shows and depression
- Mass media and civic education
- Can mass media be used for patient education?
- Role of social media
- Video games and violence among children
- Media personalities as role models
- The link between social media, movies, and suicide
- Journalism ethics
- Scientific journalism
- Arthouse versus mainstream media
- Popular culture in the media
Tourism Topics for Speech Essays
- The significance of Dubai as an international travel hub
- Impacts of terrorism on tourism
- Tourism attractions in America
- The best tourist destination in the world
- The significance of tourism in the economic growth of Africa
- Ecotourism as a means of addressing climate change issues
- Cultural tourism
- Understanding medical tourism
- Impacts of tourism on prostitution and human trafficking
- Cruise ship tourism in Australia
- Ecotourism and environmental conservation
Entrepreneurship informative speech topics
- Qualities of a great entrepreneur
- Understanding social entrepreneurship
- Challenges entrepreneurs face
- Entrepreneurship and economic growth
- Reasons entrepreneurs work harder
- Sources for funds for entrepreneurs
- Rewards of being an entrepreneur
- Policy changes and entrepreneurial growth
- Reasons for the rise of women entrepreneurs
- Agile innovation and entrepreneurship
- Debt and equity financing for entrepreneurs
Informative Relationship Topic Ideas for Speech
- Different types of friendships
- Does online dating work?
- Impacts of online dating on divorces
- How friendship works
- Importance of communication in relationships
- How to make a marriage work for you
- Do blind dates end with embarrassments?
- How long should courtship period last?
- The cost of wedding versus traditional marriages
- Cohabiting and the rise of unwanted pregnancies
- How to maintain a strong bond with parents
- Impacts of domestic violence on family ties
- Importance of writing a will
- How to manage peer pressure from friends
Informative Speech Topics on Politics
- Presidential vs. parliamentary democracy
- Foreign policies in the U.S. vs. the UK
- Role of political parties
- Telecommunication policies in china
- Reproductive rights in America
- Title IX and Collegiate athletic opportunities
- 14th amendment and privacy
- Women in politics
- Impacts of the North American Free Trade Agreement
- Police brutality in the U.S and politics
- Role of truth-telling and forgiveness in restoring peace
- Role of Interpol
- North Korea political ideologies
- Political unrest in Hong Kong
- Impacts of globalization on global peace
- Capitalism vs. Socialism
- Does the ruling elite have a hand in elections?
Informative speech topics about Technology
- The impacts of social media on students
- The development of weaponry
- The present and future of electric cars
- The supersonic trains and jets
- Importance of rails and airplanes on logistics
- Does technology control human thinking?
- History of programming languages
- The impact of cryptocurrencies on conventional currencies
- Understanding blockchain
- Blockchain and accountability
- The future of GMO in agriculture
- Can human cloning be done?
- Impact of DNA fingerprinting in fighting crime
- The future of artificial intelligence
- The application of the Internet of Things (IoT) in society
- Role of nanotechnology in cutting-edge medical research
- Marketers must understand search engine optimization (SEO)
- The rise of digital marketing
- Role of social media on politics
- Social media and domestic violence
- Social media and bullying
- Google controls everything we do today
- Can technology help fight global warming?
- Application of robots in industrial processes
- 3D printing technology and architecture
- Impacts of smartphones on human health
- Role of biometrics in airport security
- How drones have helped in society
- The significance of digital photography
- Pros and cons of social media
- How hackers manipulate people
- The dark web- does it exist?
- What if the internet went away for 100 years?
- Privacy issues and social media
- Stalkers and social media
- Facebook live and Instagram live suicides
- Sharing memes and psychological health of students
- How supercomputers control the world
- Inside the world's most advanced warship
- Evolution of air travel
- The VAR technology in football
- Application of technology in sports
- How technology improves agricultural production
- Use of aquaponics to improve yields
- Genetic engineering and cancer research
- Role of technology in medical research
- Benefits of electric cars
- Space X as a timely solution
- Application of technology to airport security
- Police technology and crime suppression
How to Write a Killer Informative Speech
While you need public speaking skills to deliver information speeches, writing a great one will define how well you perform. If you are writing an informative speech as an assignment, there are steps you need to take to ensure that you write a great speech.
1. Choose a topic
We have taken you through the process of choosing a topic. Now, find a topic that interests you and is fun to write about.
2. Understand your audience
Knowing your audience helps you limit the scope of the speech.
For instance, if you are presenting an informative speech on deforestation to students, you would focus on superficial facts such as the causes and consequences of deforestation.
However, if your audience is the local forest conservation officials you could extend your presentation to talk about policies, the role of government, and the essence of communities in deforestation.
3. Gather evidence and facts from credible scholarly sources
After selecting a topic, you need to research for scholarly resources that would help you build ideas for your informative speech.
You could use scholarly journals, credible websites, government documents, periodicals, encyclopedias, textbooks, news articles, and any credible sources to build a list of ideas to present in your essay.
You can then organize your resources on a reference or works cited page.
4. Deconstruct the topic to select the best ideas
As you research, there are points that you must have written. When deconstructing the topic, these notes help to limit the main ideas you will present in an essay.
Remember, since a speech can be as short as just 300 words, you must not focus on non-issues. Break down the topic into simple terms and compose ideas from the topic in such a manner that it befits the interest of the audience.
5. Write a thesis statement for your informative speech
Now that you have the facts at hand, you can now develop a thesis statement, which lists the central focus of the speech. You can write this last after the paper or before - the preference depends on you. A good example is:
My purpose in this speech is to talk about how bullying affects academic performance, relationships, and health of students.
6. Inform rather than persuade the audience
When writing an informative speech, just like an informative essay, your role is to inform your readers. You do not have to persuade them to accept your claims or points of view.
You can craft an argument that appeals to emotions by being objective.
8. Write the first draft of your speech
After coming up with ideas, it is necessary to write a bare-bones speaking outline or talking points for delivering the speech.
The skeleton outline helps you arrange ideas to maintain good flow, clarity, coherence, and relevance.
8. Start writing your essay with power words
When beginning your essay, throw in a great hook to grab the attention of your audience. It could be an anecdote, quote, statistic, or rhetorical question. Once you have the attention of the audience, drop in your thesis to make them anticipate the speech even more.
9. Develop the Body of the Speech
If you are writing a process informative speech essay, you need to provide a step by step approach. With the thesis done, you now need to develop paragraphs, each with its unique idea, to form the body of the speech.
Make sure there is some logical flow in your speech by using transition words.
10. End your informative speech in a bang
Now, with the points well written in the main body, it is time to end the speech. It is the time to connect with the audience, demonstrate the importance of the topic, and summarize the entire speech.
12. Proofread and edit then present
Once you have completed the speech, ensure that you proofread it, the same way you would do with an essay or research paper.
Check for any grammatical and spelling mistakes and correct them. You do not want to get embarrassed by not being able to spell your written words because they are a huge vocabulary. Therefore, substitute the heavy words with understandable synonyms.
When you are done editing your speech, you can seek professional proofreading and editing help, or ask your friends or roommates to help you check for further errors or omissions. With their go ahead, you can present the speech or hit the submit button and wait for grades and accolades.
If you are to present your informative speech, break it into smaller parts, and memorize each section. You can then memorize the sentences and once you are confident enough, face the public and let them know what you need to tell them.
Maintain eye contact, good posture, positive gesture, and confidence when presenting the speech. Glow and carry the day because you deserve it.
Having the best informative speech topic ideas is one thing. However, creating good informative speech topics is halfway to finishing a polished essay.
If writing speeches is not your thing, we have the best English speech writers online to handle every speech you might have. A tip before we call it off : always choose a simple, direct, and narrow topic that you can explore in-depth.
We can handle short deadlines through our urgent essay writing service. So, we can write your speech as you prepare and have a perfect one for you within the best turnaround time.
We also offer speech correction services. If you have written a speech and need someone to polish it, you can take advantage of ourÂ speech essay editing services.Â See, we have you covered all-round with speech writing.
With this list of informative speech topics for college students, you can brainstorm, plan, and write a great speech!