Interesting Political Science Topics
Last Updated: 03 March 2023
If ever there is something that draws a professor's attention, it is a catchy research topic. When writing a political science research paper, term paper, thesis, or dissertation, choosing a good topic is part of the writing process.
Agreeably, political science is comprehensive, making the topic selection and later writing a college essay complicated, especially if there are many interest areas.
While you can solve the issue by focusing on a topic that interests you, you can only do so by brainstorming, researching, and looking at sample papers completed by others. Your prompt or instructions is a great place to begin.
In this article, we present some of the catchy political science research topics we have come across. We have categorized the topics for easy reading. We also present some topic ideas that can help you come up with the best. If you are a law student, educator, historian, sociologist, philosopher, or related professional/student, we have your back.
How to Choose a good Political Science Topic
Political science is an extensive discipline that encompasses several areas such as political theory, geopolitics, comparative politics, international relations, American government and politics, political methodology, healthcare politics, and human rights, to mention a few. Here is how to select the best topic:
- Understand the type of research paper you are writing. To get started with research, one has to decide on the type of paper they will be writing. In most instances, the political science papers can be:
- Theory-proposing, which advances the deductive argument for new hypotheses that explains how the world works.
- Historical explanations, which use political theory to explain the causes and consequences of specific patterns or events.
- Policy analysis, which entails the evaluation of real or factual policy proposals.
- Predictive, which forecast the future developments based on the analysis of relevant theories and current events.
- Stock-taking, which majorly focuses on the evaluation and summary of empirical and theoretical literature about a given subject.
You can automatically know the type of research paper by reading the prompt.
- Read through the instructions and take notes. As you read the prompt, you will most likely get hints on the specific topic areas, ideas, or tenets that the professor/tutor is looking forward to reading.
- Use Credible sources to find information about a given idea. Once you have developed an interest in a particular line of research or a research topic, scour through quality sources for information. Expansive reading is required to develop good research topics and create coherent, concise, and credible arguments in a paper. Some of the great sources include books, previous research papers, class texts, peer-reviewed journals from databases such as ProQuest, JSTOR, Political Science Complete, Lexis-Nexis Academic Universe, ProjectMuse, Gale's Expanded Academic, and History Resource Center. Thankful to technology and collaboration, your librarian can help you get the relevant sources.
- Narrow down to a given topic if it interests you, has credible sources for support, and meets the requirements. When selecting a political issue or idea to write about, choose an issue with enough facts and fits within the context of the prompt. Avoid being overambitious with topics that are complex and have little information.
Once you select a good topic, you can comfortably follow our research paper writing guide and compose an excellent political science research paper. Alternatively, you can hire a research paper helper from our website to help you craft one. That said, here is a list of political science topics to use in any type of writing.
International Relations Research Topics
- Analyzing the Qatar boycott Negotiation Strategy Process (IR)
- What role did Serb nationalist intellectuals play on the road to war?
- Negotiation and Bargaining Role Play
- China's Belt in Road Initiative a National Security Threat to the US
- Emergency Management in Terrorist Attacks
- The relationship between the United Nations and the US is increasingly ambivalent: to what extent do the actions of the US undermine the role of the United Nations?
- Do you consider Israel s airstrike on Osirak justifiable? Explain why
- Compare policy for women in the film industry in the EU and US
- Israeli-Palestine conflict over vaccines is the reflection of a conflicted past (different forms of warfare)
- US foreign policy has traditionally been one of liberal internationalism. How can liberal internationalism continue to guide US foreign policy in an unstable world of rapidly shifting alliances?
- How Western Intervention in the Syrian War affected the rest of the Middle East
- Is the state a neutral arbiter in the context of humans' communication and co-existence? Can the state become such a neutral arbiter in the future? Is it possible?
- Decision-making in a public organization and the garbage can model
- Can liberalism be implemented in the Inter-War Period?
- Role of Amnesty International in global peace
- What does its current lack of strategy in foreign policy mean for the US?
- Soft Law as Reflected in Multilateral Treaties
- Role of the UN in international peace
- Socialism is the best form of government
- Are peace treaties effective in global peace management?
- State and Non-State Actors in Syria
- Analysis of Global security networks
- Â Gender Inequality through Sexual Violence against Women
- Are the actions of the US in its international relations with other nations always legitimate under international law?
- Who controls US foreign policy?
- How is the US likely to approach Brexit, the United Kingdom's withdrawal from the European Union?
- What are the fundamental causes of problems between African nations, and how do they affect their relationships with the West?
- Children's Rights: The Emergence of International Protection
- How are relations between African nations likely to develop in the future?
- How are Islamist terror organizations exploiting local African conflicts?
- Has Western involvement only served to make matters worse in Africa?
- Can Western ideals in relation to politics ever really be utilized in an African setting?
- The Birth of the International Criminal Court: A New Paradigm for International Law?
- Did Russia have a hand in US elections?
- Can Western ideals in relation to politics ever really be utilized in an African setting?
- The Treaty-Making of "Chinese Entities:" 1648-1995
- China and American Cold war and its impact on international peace
- Is china the new superpower?
- Is the US above the law?
- Border Conflicts among the Soviet Successor States
- EU's Shared Security as a threat to NATO
- Impacts of immigration EU policies
- The Gender Wage Gap as a World Indicator of the Political, Social, and Economic Progress on the Issue of Gender Equality
- Cause and effects of the Syrian conflict
- Causes and consequences of global poverty
- NATO in the 21st Century
- What explains the broadening and deepening of international peace operations after the Cold War? Critically assess the reasons for their successes and failures
- The Effectiveness of U.S. Foreign Policy in the Persian Gulf War
- Africa: The Forgotten Continent Chained to Colonial Darkness or Bound for a Brighter Future?
American Politics Topics
- White Supremacist Extremists vs. Black Nationalist Extremists
- Role of MNCs in American Politics
- Influence of celebrities on American politics
- The Confederate battle flag: Heritage or hate
- Utilitarianism and American politics
- Pros and cons of the electoral college
- Democracy in America
- Criminal Disenfranchisement
- Constitutionalism in America
- Role of regionalism in American Foreign Policy
- The Patriot Act
- American Ethnic groups and US foreign policy
- State governments takeovers of failing school districts
- Land claims and disputes among the Native American tribes in Western New York
- The 14th Amendment and Privacy
- The Supreme Court and Reproductive Rights
- The Supreme Court and Sexual Preference
- Racial Profiling in post 9/11 United States Content Regulation in Broadcasting
- Role of media in American Politics
- Stereotypes Between American and Arab-Americans in the United States
- Should the U.S. Constitution be amended to impose term limits on members of Congress?
Comparative Politics Topics
- The foundations of inequality: fate or choice?
- National Options: what Choices Are Countries making, and why?
- Regional Arrangements: how do regional governance and conflict influence national choices?
- Strong State, Wealthy Nation? Security politics and political economy
- Growth models, the double bind, and some basics of comparative political economy
- How revolutionary is the digital revolution? The politics of the digital era and the changing sources of value creation
- Escape from the Industrial Commodity Trap: will there be work in the digital era?
- The Climate Challenge, the energy system transformation, and green spirals.
- Populism in EU
- National vs. Regional Governance
- Comparative analysis of models of democracy
- Dictatorship vs. Democracy
- The ideology of the Soviet Union
- Hierarchy of the Chinese Communist Party
- Foreign policies of United States vs. the United Kingdom
- Role of US and China in global politics
- The interests of the US and Russia in Syria
- Parliamentary vs. Presidential Democracy
- Why are some countries democratic while others are not?
- Democratization and inequality
- Competitive authoritarianism in Turkey
- Role of institutions in authoritarian regimes
- Electoral authoritarianism and human development
- Patterns of democracy and development in two countries
- Understanding the democracy advantage
- Discontent in Latin America
- The Shia Crescendo
- Politics vs. Economics of Climate Change
- Understanding geopolitical debate
- The Great decoupling
- Who governs the US?
- China vs. Japan foreign aid policies
- Effects of Brexit in Europe and UK
Political Theory topics
- Pros and cons of positivism
- Pros and cons of constructivism
- Nationalism vs. Globalization
- Role of political anthropology in political development
- Understanding populism
- Totalitarian regimes
- Unitary, Federalism, and Confederalism systems
- The idea of just war
- Role of multiculturalism in global politics
- Understanding absolutism
- Liberalism vs. Neoliberalism
- Communitarianism vs. Communism
- Anarchism vs. Authoritarianism
- Fascism vs. Feminism in America
- Egalitarianism vs. Utilitarianism
- Shortcomings of the social contract theory by Rousseau
- Political realism of Hobbes, Morgenthau, and Machiavelli
- Role of socialism in the contemporary world
- John Austin theory
- Classical theories by Edmund Burke
- Disciplinary power by Foucault
- Analyzing The Republic by Plato
- Concept of transnationalism
- Role of the UN disarmament program on global peace
- Affirmative Action
Politics and Conflict research Topics and Ideas
- Causes and consequences of the opioid war
- Mexico-US border immigrant crisis
- Causes of the Syrian conflicts
- Israeli-Palestinian conflict
- Arab-Israel conflict
- Causes and consequences of the 1984 Arab-Israel conflict
- Understanding gray zone conflicts
- Impacts of Covid-19 on global conflicts
- North Korea and South Korea conflicts
- Russia-Ukraine conflict
- The Ukraine crisis
- Why Russia Invaded Ukraine
- The root causes of the Somali conflict
- Ethiopia-Sudan border conflict
- Egypt-Ethiopia conflict over water (Nile River)
- The controversies of the Grand Ethiopian Renaissance Dam
- The Tigray conflict in Ethiopia
- The consequences of the Iraqi conflict
- The Iran-Saudi Arabia proxy conflict
Political Philosophy Topics
- Sufism in the Turko Mongol Dynasty
- The Colfax Massacre
- The influence Aryanism had on The Nuremberg Laws
- The risks of Neopatrimonialism
- Election ethics
- Role of medieval Christianity in the development of today's politics
- The social contract by Jean-Jacques Rousseau
- Thomas Hobbes
- The link between colonialism and racism
- Theory of deliberative democracy
- Republicanism/neo- or civic-republicanism vs. Liberal communitarianism
- Majoritarianism vs. Panarchy
- Consensus decision-making in politics
- Critical theory and the engaged theory
- How Are Geopolitical Shifts Influencing Peace and Stability?
You have read our suggestions on good political science topics to write an essay or research paper on. We hope that the categories have been helpful. Our ideas could also be helpful in knowing how to create interesting topics on any subject.
If you feel like you need someone to write your essay, you can easily get help from our website. You can hire a writer to handle your paper. We offer paid model political science papers, which you can use as samples when writing yours.
Our website exclusively allows you to interact with your writer, share ideas, and develop concepts that facilitate learning. It does not matter the topic that you have selected, our writers are already capable. Gat a chance to work with knowledgeable and experienced writers. We guarantee a custom paper that is tied to your instructions.