The Best Research Paper Topic Ideas and Guide
Last Updated: 19 July 2021
Even though choosing a research paper topic sounds easy on paper, it is a dreaded process to many students. Since writing a research paper is mandatory in college and university, most students find it challenging to begin, complete, and submit research papers on time.
It is not appropriate to underestimate the research projects because, eventually, they demand time and effort. Furthermore, even though they are just a piece of a research paper, they carry marks that influence your grades.
We have realized that the most stressful stage when working on a research paper is the confidence you have in your topic. Is your research paper topic relevant, plausible, and appropriate for your chosen field? Although sometimes the research paper prompts or instructions provide a list of research paper topics to select, sometimes you are required to research and select the best; that’s where trouble sets in.
To write an intriguing introduction, engaging body, and an unforgettable conclusion, you have to ensure that you have a unique but also interesting topic. If you are worried about selecting the best topic, we wrote this guide and a list of topics to get you started.
How to Select Good Research Paper Topics
Selecting research paper topics is a dreaded endeavor by many. First, it is because there are very many sources with information, which results in information overload. Furthermore, college students are always expected to write on trending research topics, which sometimes they lack knowledge and ideas.
Although you are not required to invent something and write about it, your topic must be comprehensive, relevant, and appropriate to the field that you are pursuing. For instance, you cannot write a medical research paper, yet you are pursuing IT unless you are writing it from the perspective of applying IT in medicine.
We have some valuable tips and tricks to help you master the art of choosing the best topics for research papers assigned to you without suggesting the topic to write about.
Here is how to choose a creative research topic in four simple steps:
Read and understand the assignment prompt.
Usually, there are instructions given by your instructor or professor when assigning a research paper. They can be through the canvas, email, or whatever platform your school uses.
The assignment prompt is usually rich in information concerning the length and scope of the research paper. Besides, they also contain some topic suggestions that you might be free to use or pick similar.
Reading the prompt helps you limit your scope when researching and selecting a specific topic for your research paper. Ultimately, it also helps you to brainstorm about the appropriate research paper topics.
Brainstorm for good research paper topic ideas
With the information extracted from the instructions, the first step for topic idea generation is brainstorming. This step usually helps create a list of good research topics, develop research questions, come up with a thesis statement, and categorize the research topic ideas.
As you brainstorm, it is always great to refer to your text, research online and read through research paper examples available online or on your school databases.
Brainstorming allows you to utilize the school library database better. Usually, you are allowed to ask for research essay topics from library staff or write to your instructor. You can use these strategies when brainstorming for your interesting research topic ideas.
Research and sieve the list of research topics
As you brainstorm, you will notice that you will yield many research paper topics. However, because you are only required to focus on a topic, you will have to eliminate the others.
Most students make a mistake in choosing a wide topic that limits the number of words they use to express the ideas. Remember, selecting a specific research topic helps you narrow down to a thesis, develop good arguments, and write a focused research paper.
As you research more on the topics, eliminate each of them based on the relevance to your field of study, course material, and the instructions. If possible, define your research paper topic as a question. For instance, if you have selected “The impacts of COVID-19 Pandemic on the Refugees,” you can frame it as “How has the COVID-19 pandemic affected refugees in Myanmar?” Doing so helps you narrow your research and, to be specific enough.
Select your topic and research further to develop an outline
Having narrowed it down to a specific research topic for your essay, proposal, or research paper. It is a norm to delve deeper into research. Utilize the scholarly databases and websites to gain in-depth information about
To eliminate a topic, here is a checklist:
- Is it relevant to your field of study?
- Does the topic specifically allow you to address the issues in the instructions?
- Is the topic great enough to explore using theories from class?
- How relevant is the topic to the course content?
- Can you write a full research paper using the topic?
If your answer is yes to all the above questions, you have yourself a good topic for the research paper. Otherwise, you still need to research the research topic ideas developed when brainstorming or expand your list then select the best.
After selecting the best research topic, it is now your chance to write a research paper beginning with the process of creating an outline.
List of the Best Research Paper Topics for Different Fields (By Category)
As we explore different research topics, we have categorized them to help you grasp what a good research topic should be. Remember, high school, college, and university students have different preferred topics that they wish to write a research paper on.
Argumentative Research Paper Topics and Ideas
When you opt to write an argumentative research paper, you must have facts to support your main idea and be able to counterargue against your selected stance. Besides, you must also have a strong conclusion and introduction. Here is a list to get you started:
- Should college athletes be paid?
- Does working online during the covid pandemic affect the well-being of employees?
- The ideal age to consume alcohol should be 18 years
- Students should wear school uniforms
- Animal testing for human beauty products should be banned
- Immigrants are a good foundation for the diversity of their host nations
- Virtual reality is promising in the world of research
- Is the grid pattern of city planning the best?
- Should humans fight population explosion?
- Does prostitution impact community policing?
- Cyberbullying has caused more deaths during the pandemic
- Accidents due to drunk driving are avoidable
- Child traffickers should be executed
- The rich should share their wealth with the poor
- The rich countries fund wars in developing nations
- Minorities should be allowed to participate in high-end sports
- Should students have to take general education/pre-requisites (i.e., speech, ENC 1101, CGS 1060, humanities, philosophy, etc.) courses?
- To what extent was the Shah responsible for the revolution in 1979?
- Do the media provide oxygen of publicity for terrorists?
- Should students be allowed to work while studying to avoid ballooning student loan debts?
Funny Research Topic Ideas to Consider
- Why do people like making memes?
- Should movie directors show us the fails when preparing the movies?
- How can one stop being lazy?
- Comics should be used in education
- Does getting drunk make someone stupid?
- Can one travel around the world without money?
- Why are people creating sex toys yet there are so many people in the world?
- Is the media thinking for the Millenial generation?
- Does farting relieve stress?
- Can a falling coconut harm people underneath it?
- Vegetable fats and oils make people fat
- Sugar is lethal to the body
- Can someone be a fairy?
- Do shorter people have problems faced by long people?
These are topics that are least thought of as profound by many people. Nevertheless, exploring these topics after thorough research will get you accolades. As long as there is adequate information online to help you explore a funny topic in your research paper, you can always explore any idea.
Interesting Research Topics
If you thought that funny topics for a research paper are an odd idea, let us look at some interesting research ideas to make a good research paper topic.
- Social media is the greatest employer today
- Going to space is no longer rocket science
- Tesla has revolutionized the world with its innovations
- Elon Musk and Jeff Bezos are geniuses that will never get poor
- Plastic surgery can be done for patients with facial deformities
- How to communicate better with your spouse
- Beauty and success are the new pursuits for most women
- Data is the new oil and gold
- Amusement parks can be used for educational purposes
- Poverty and corruption indices rhyme for failed states
- Who funds global wars?
- Can top MNCs create a fairground for health and life?
- Does death scare people?
- Why do people make bad decisions when they can make the best ones?
- Men and women have different relationships
- Effectiveness of CBT
- How to manage PTSD among integrated veterans
- Impacts of Faith-Based Environmentalism
- The Rationality of War: The misconceptions of religion and political ideology
- Impact Of Tinnitus on Military Service Members
Simple Research paper topics
- The link between poverty and crime
- Importance of diversity in the classroom
- Benefits of face-to-face communication
- How to handle stress at work
- Perceptions of High School Students Adaptability Challenges to Online Learning Due to Unforeseeable Circumstances
- High costs of college education
- Do grades matter?
- Importance of governments in enabling trade
- Impacts of procrastination
- How politics affect peace in countries
- Impacts of global wars on global peace
- How to manage leisure time
- Sports as a unifying factor
- National culture influences national culture
- How to become a nurse
- The rise of cryptocurrencies
- Influence of cyberbullying on children
- Impacts of helicopter parenting
- Benefits of being an authoritarian parent
- Impacts of media on children’s behavior
- Video games and violent children
- How video games improve innovation and creativity in children
- Benefits of standardized tests in schools
- Benefits of boarding schools
- Impacts of parents on school performance
- Impacts of class size on individual performance
- How to appreciate gifted children
- How to prepare for graduation
- Legal and Ethical Issues Related to Psychiatric Emergencies
The list of research topics above is easy to select. They are general and can be used across the board, depending on your field of study. You can already see that even the simplest of all research paper topics can be selected. It does not have to be rocket science selecting a research paper.
Controversial Topics to write a research paper on
Now, apart from the easy ones, you can choose to consider some controversial research paper topics. These are the topics that bring mixed reactions from different groups and people. Most of these topics can be related, but not limited to technology, politics, gender, human relationships, sociology, or medicine. Here are some topic suggestions:
- Churches should be taxed
- Are some youth sports too intense?
- Religion should be voluntary: no parent should force their child to a given religion
- Religion as an enabler of terrorism
- Serial killers should also be killed
- Rapists should be castrated
- Governments should not adopt cryptocurrencies
- Pornography should be legal for adults
- What it feels like to be transgender in today’s world
- How to prevent child trafficking
- Sex tourism is equal to legal prostitution
- Police unions cannot help fight corruption
- Gun control alone is not effective in stopping shootings
- We live in an overly regulated society
- Gay partners and child adoption
- Media perpetuates violence in society
- Homework should be abolished
- Healthcare should be free
- Doctors and researchers should be paid better
- The list of wealthiest people in the world should be abolished
- Sex education should be taught in middle school
- Animals should not be used as research models
- Cell phones are dangerous
- CEOs are paid too much, yet employees work more
- Athletes should be held to high moral standards
- Couples found cheating should be punished
- Our tax system is unfair to the poor
- College education is necessary but not mandatory
- Same-sex marriage should be abolished
- Abortion should be illegal unless justified
- Girls are mean to one another
- Homework: useful or harmful?
- College admission should not be competitive
- Students should learn at least one foreign language
- Affirmative action is unfair
- School teachers are not responsible for poor performance
- Racing industry should be allowed to use alternative fuels
- Companies should not market to children
- Cigarette smoking should be banned
- The use of coal and charcoal should be banned
- Governments should promote healthy agricultural practices
- Third world countries should not depend on foreign aid
- Men should get paternity leave from work
- People working together should not date one another
- People with cancer should be treated for free
- Big Pharma should not regulate and control prices of medicine
- Being vegan affects the lives of humans
- Refugees and migrants should be welcome to any country
- Countries should be boundaryless
- Western culture destroys other culture
- Censorship is unjustified
- State surveillance infringes the rights of citizens
- Surrogate motherhood should be regulated
- Single-sex schools should be abolished
- Human cloning should not be allowed
- Single parents are ostracized from the society
- Convicted criminals should lead normal lives after prison
- Teenage marriages should not be allowed
- Military veterans should be allowed duty-free items
- Euthanasia cannot count as palliative treatment
- Impacts of TV on the rise of the make-up industry
- Make-up and identity theft
- Why Africans hate their beauty and love American beauty standards
Specific Research Paper Topics by Subject
When looking for research topic ideas for either a research paper or proposal, chances are that you need specific ones. By this, we mean the topics for a research paper specific to a given field of study. Given our existence in the industry, we have understood how to select these topics. Here are some ideas and suggestions to consider.
Biology Research Topics
- Benefits of stem cells in human medicine
- The role of CRISPR and Genetic engineering
- How epidemiology helps solve human pandemics
- Why coronavirus vaccines have taken long
- Role of Prions in diseases such as mad cow diseases
- How biologists can combat climate change
- Role of biology in endangered species recovery
- The evolution and role of synthetic biology in society
- How epigenetics helps combat diseases
- Hormonal changes during pregnancy
- Antibiotic resistance and cell structure
- Cardio exercises and hormonal changes
- Genetic grounds of obesity
- Depression and genes
- Impacts of DNA fingerprinting on crime control
- How meningitis affects people
Medicine and Health Sciences (Nursing included)
- Continuous Renal Replacement Therapy (CRRT)
- Critical analysis of the leadership role of an RN within a nursing team
- Role of communication and collaboration among the healthcare teams
- Interprofessional collaboration among healthcare workers
- Use of telemedicine to improve access and quality of care
- Importance of not Disclosing One’s HIV/AIDs Status
- Should the U.S. government provide free health care for all?
- Healthcare Challenges at the End of Life
- Insurance costs and availability in the USA
- The Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinical Health Act (HITECH) and adoption of EHR
- Impacts of EHR in quality improvement in healthcare
- The opioid crisis
- Nurses and physician shortage in the USA
Research Paper Topics Categorized by Subjects
If you are very keen, you will notice that there are millions of topic ideas you can use for a research paper. Looking around you can as well give you a great idea. Having looked at the research paper topics from a general point of view, we can further narrow the list down to research topics by the field of study. This is a section we will endeavor to update as we discover more topic ideas. Note that you can use these specific ideas when developing your research questions and choosing research proposal topics. Ours is to get you started in terms of brainstorming.
Sociology Research Paper Topics
- Impacts of social media on family bonds
- Impacts of cheating on peace within families
- How divorce affects children
- Cross-racial adoption of children and perceptions of the society
- Impacts of single parenting on kids
- Challenges of helicopter parenting
- The link between race and educational attainment
- How racial stereotypes affect self-esteem
- The link between patriotism and social status
- Role of social sanctions in society
- How to fight social media addiction
- Are memes and funny Tik Tok videos healthy for adolescents?
- Anorexia nervosa due to social media marketing
- How social media has advanced the culture of photography
- Social media and setting of new beauty standards
- Impacts of teamwork on interpersonal skills
- Origin and dangers of feminism
- Effects of bullying
- How to address homelessness
- Does K-Pop culture and anime lead to the feminization of male youth?
- Role of social media in social movements such as the #MeTOO movement
- Child-free or childlessness – understanding the perceptions of the society
- The Asian intolerance phenomenon in Covid-19 pandemic
- Raw food diet, its benefits, and dangers
- Effects of fast foods on society
Criminal Law and Justice Research Paper Topics
- Criminal justice biases
- Effectiveness of prisons
- Does capital punishment deter crime?
- Should private prisons be abolished?
- Are drug courts effective
- The link between social status and crime
- How religion impacts crime
- Understanding victimization
- Biological theories of crime
- Explaining crime through the anomie theory
- Impacts of elderly abuse
- Factors leading to juvenile delinquency
- Causes and consequences of prostitution
- Causes of college violence
- Impacts and causes of domestic violence
- How to address substance abuse among teenagers
- How to combat human and organ trafficking in Africa
- Social media and identity theft
- Analysis of false confessions
- The best suspect interrogation strategies
- How transnational criminal networks operate
- The ethics of prison labor
- Causes and consequences of gang culture
- How to reduce recidivism
- How police can collaborate to end financial crimes
History Research Topics
- The significance and impacts of the American revolution
- The COVID-19 pandemic and the China-USA relations
- The history of the Israel-Palestinian conflict
- How globalization affected geographical cultures
- Impacts of the Great Depression
- How the Chernobyl explosion occurred
- Key figures in the Atlanta campaign
- The Mexican-American war
- American reaction towards the Holocaust
- The bubonic plague and the black death eras
- Causes and consequences of civil wars
- How the Dodd-Frank laws have impacted the war-torn Congo
Business Research Paper Topics
- How ethical mistakes can lead to business bankruptcy
- Importance of ethical codes in organizations
- Causes and consequences of workplace violence
- How managers can address conflict in the workplace
- Impacts of COVID-19 on remote workers in organizations
- How companies are using virtual teams during the COVID-19 pandemic
- How wars affect the progress of MNCs
- Influence of wages on productivity
- How to retain employees
- Leveraging staff wellbeing to improve productivity in organizations
We have a list of international business management topics that you can equally consider when writing your paper.
Music Research Topics and Ideas
Different countries have different cultures, musical instruments, and compositions. Although music research is challenging, the availability of information on the internet makes it possible to write an excellent music research paper. From the history of music to music production in modern times, there are many research ideas that one can develop a research paper topic from. We have listed some of the most recent music research paper topics and ideas to get you started.
- Why reggae music is popular across the world
- Impacts of pop music on global music culture
- What influence does hip-hop have on blacks in the USA?
- The significance of music in films
- Great and famous women in music
- Benefits and challenges of music therapy
- The impacts of COVID-19 on the global music industry
- Impacts of piracy on musicians
- Different genres of music
- History of opera music
- History of Jazz and Blues
- Famous music composers
- How to teach youngsters how to make music
- Is music profitable?
- Can music be used for education?
- The psychology of music
- The evolution of country music in the USA
- History of reggae music in Africa
- Is reggae music linked to the use of marijuana?
- The link between reggae music and the Rastafarian religion
- Effects of music on mood
- Effects of music on the brain
- Origins of black music and how it influenced pop culture in the USA
- Exploring the musical journey of Michael Jackson
- Can musical sounds be patented?
- Copyright issues in music production
- Comparison between Japanese and Chinese music
- How Shakespeare used music in his plays
- Do the radio influence the music people listen to and love?
- The impacts of jazz music
- Typical musical instruments in India
Leadership Research Paper Topics
- Impacts of abusive supervision on employee performance
- Difference between leadership and management
- Benefits of charismatic leadership
- Impacts of leadership on management
- Impacts of globalization on the leadership of MNCs
- Application of Global Leadership and Organizational Behavior Effectiveness Project (GLOBE) in understanding organizational culture, leadership, and societal culture
- Benefits of participative leadership in organizations
- Ethical leadership and organizational culture
- Impacts of performance reviews on employee performance
- How transactional leadership impacts organizational success
- Servant leadership and positive work culture
- How leadership influences positive organizational citizenship behaviors
- Women make better leaders than men
- The best leadership for public sector organizations
- Are good leaders born or made?
- Can leadership be learned?
- Transformational leadership and employee wellbeing
- Impacts of leaders in technological adoption
- Leaders as change advocates
- Leadership in the age of the gig economy
- The link between innovation, leadership, and organizational sustainability
- Leadership styles and employee creativity in organizations
- Leadership and organizational learning
Check out our leadership paper guide for more topics and details on how to write and get great grades.
Organizational Behavior Topics
- How to measure employee reliability
- Impacts of Counterproductive work behavior (CWB) in organizations
- Role of employees in customer satisfaction
- Diversity and creativity among employees
- How to reduce cyberloafing at work
- Impacts of absenteeism in an organization
- How to reduce employee turnover in organizations
- Strategies to engage and retain employees
- How to reduce workplace incivility in organizations
- Foundations of workplace violence and strategies to address it
- Strategies to promote positive organizational citizenship behavior
- Can surveillance reduce employee theft?
- Role of whistleblowing on organizations
- How to reduce lateness among employees
- Strategies to boost job performance
- Use of artificial intelligence to reduce absenteeism in workplaces
- How to boost the social connection between leaders and employees
- How to cultivate an inclusive culture that promotes interaction in the workplace
- How to manage change in an organization with a multigenerational workforce
- Role of mentorship and coaching in the workplace
Disaster Management Research Topics
As you set out to write a disaster management research paper, here are some hot topics to consider. We can also help with writing your disaster management answers. In addition, we offer fast and reliable disaster management assignment help. Contact us if you are stuck.
- Salient vulnerabilities associated with key assets within a given sector
- FEMA Whole Community and Foundation in Emergency Management
- Role of NGOs in Disaster Response
- Role of Disaster exercises and drills in disaster preparedness
- Role of public health nurses in disaster management
- Benefits of multiagency approach in disaster management
- Disaster management competencies
- ''Hand only CPR Campaign'' Risk Communication campaign Project
- Incident Command System and disaster preparedness
- Active shooter preparedness and strategies
- Earthquake preparedness for every child care provider
- Homeland security and anti-terrorist preparedness
- Role of volunteers in disaster preparedness
- Responding to a hurricane disaster
- Psychiatry consultation during disaster preparedness
- Stormwatch! Hurricane preparedness for hospitals
- Factors associated with hurricane preparedness: results of a pre-hurricane assessment
- Risk assessment and management: emergency planning perspectives
- Policy issues in disaster preparedness and response
- Disaster risk reduction and preparedness of health facilities
- Hazard mitigation and preparedness during disasters
- Bioterrorism and local agency preparedness
- Disaster risk reduction and emergency management in prison